Here we go! Miami is about to become the center of the art universe. Miami Art Week and Art Basel Miami Beach bring an explosion of international art to this city each December. This citywide extravaganza revolves around paintings, sculptures, performances, videos, film screenings, sound art, talks, conversations and salons. If you want to take in a lot without burning out, you’ll need to map out your day(s). Wear comfortable shoes, bring a bottle of water and a couple of energy bars, and don’t forget your stamina. Do remember: there’s always next year!
Of course, you’ll want to visit the fairs. When you want to step away, we recommend these FIVE experiences.
- Dara Friedman: Perfect Stranger at the Perez Art Museum Miami. This mid-career survey features experimental films in an immersive environment.
- The Bass Museum, recently re-opened after major renovations, presents the work of Mika Rottenberg, Ugo Rondinone and Pascal Marthine Tayou. Art Basel’s Public Sector brings public art and performance to Soundscape Park, a few blocks away.
- UNTITLED Radio. Listen to the Fresh Art International show from wherever you are, 4:30-5:00pm, Dec 6 to 10, on Wynwood Radio. Click HERE to see the guest lineup!
- Institute of Contemporary Art Miami. This brand new museum in the Design District opens Dec 1. Free admission!
- Art Basel Film and Sound Program at Soundscape Park. (it’s free!) After you spend the day immersed in art and the art crowd, a great way to decompress is to stretch out on the grass to watch art films and hear the latest innovations in sound art. We’ll be there!
Follow our adventures on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
Scroll Down for a few more highlights of Miami Art Week 2017.
Derrick Adams, Black White and Brown, Opening Reception, 5 Dec, 5-8pm
Black White & Brown, multidisciplinary artist Derrick Adams’ first solo exhibition with Primary. Also catch Derrick Adams in Conversation with Franklin Sirmans, Director of Perez Art Museum Miami, 8 Dec, 12-1pm.
@ Primary, 15 NE 39th St
Art Basel Public Sector Special Performance, 6 Dec, 8pm
This special night will open with an evening performance program featuring Jim Shaw + the band D’red D’warf.
@ Soundscape Park, 400 17th St, Miami Beach
Boom For Real: The late teenage years of Jean-Michel Basquiat 8 Dec, 8:30-10pm.
Film screening followed by a discussion.
@ Colony Theater, 1040 Lincoln Rd
Art Basel Film and Sound, 7-10 Dec, 7pm
Sound works and films about dance, performance and music will be projected onto the massive outdoor projection wall. Full schedule HERE.
@ SoundScape Park, 500 17th Street, Miami Beach
Art Basel Miami Beach Conversations, 9 Dec, 4pm
Biennial/Regeneration discussion with the Director of Prospect. 4 Trevor Schoonmaker and artist Darryl Montana.
@ Art Basel Miami Beach
The Fair, 7-10 Dec, 11am-7pm
Installations/performances will feature works by the Guerrilla Girls, Yoko Ono and Natalia Alfonso. The fair’s curators, Zoe Lukov and Anthony Spinello the premise of the exhibition as “fair market, fair play and fair trade.
@ Brickell City Centre, 81 SW 8th St (Level 4)
Still Human, 6 Dec 2017-25 Aug 2018
The Rubell Collection‘s exhibition includes works by artists such as Simon Denny and Frances Stark and Hito Steryerl. The artist-in-residence program features Allison Zuckerman: Stranger in Paradise exhibition.
@ Rubell Collection, 95 NW 29th St
Are you really my friend? by Tanja Hollander, 6-7 Dec, 11am-8pm; 8-9 Dec, 12-8pm; 10 Dec, 12-6 pm
The project examines the ways that friendship is defined in the era of social media.
@ Miami Beach Botanical Garden, 2000 Convention Center Dr. and the MGM Resorts Lounge within the Art Basel Collectors Lounge.
Miami Art Fairs 2017 via Art-Collectors.com
Feature image: Jillian Mayer, You’ll Be Okay | Header image: Charles Gaines, numbers and trees at ICA Miami.
Contributed by Collete Mello with Evelyne Zapata and Cathy Byrd for Fresh Art International.